What is céleste © sustainability concept & framework?
céleste means heavenly in Latin. It has been created to set a new benchmark for sustainable procurement and supply chain. It is a fusion of 500+ standard, audit, framework, methodology, guidance, assessment, law, convention, etc. It is a sustainability framework, which addresses wider aspects of sustainability:
C – Cultural, Heritage & Values
E – Economic & Quality
L – Legal
E – Environmental
S – Social, Health & Safety
T – Technological
E – Ethical
Why do we need céleste © sustainability framework?
- Public/Private/Cooperative/Charity/Not-for-profit Organisations
- Organisation size in terms of revenue, profits, employee numbers, etc.
- Organisation requirements based on depth of assessment
- Organisation expectation on aspects of sustainability
What additional advantages does céleste sustainability assessment provide?
- Extreme scalability to support Fortune 500 companies at the one end to unregistered micro mini farmers &organization at the other end.
- Flexibility through choice of assessment level.
- Adaptability through customization
- Easily verifiable certificate
- No hidden (or additional cost) to share certificate details.
- Outstanding data security option to keep data within customer domain.
- Noticeably aligned to United Nations sustainability principles, recommendations, goals & targets.
This enables to exceed customer’s expectations across industries, geographies and sizes. Additionally, it provides a basis to drive sustainability improvements.
Why should you hire someone to carry out a 3rd party sustainability assessment?
- Free up internal resources
- Quicker assessment because of skills & processes
- Reduced assessment cost
- Access to specialised talent
- Increase focus on core capabilities
- Improve credibility and brand image
- Improve process control
- Improve Key Performance Indicators
- Improve Key Result Area awareness
- Drive innovation
- Improve compliance
- Commercial advantage by differentiating you from your peers/competitors
- Reasonably improved assurance to your stakeholders when compared with self-assessment/self-certification.
- Reduce financial risks
- Reduce operational risks
How does céleste sustainability assessment help drive United Nations sustainability aims?
- Extreme downward scalability to support unregistered micro-mini farmers & businesses.
- Easily verifiable certificate, so supports transparency.
- For assessed companies, there is no hidden (or additional cost) to share certificate details.
- Noticeably aligned to United Nations sustainability principles, recommendations, goals & targets.
- For sustainability assessment, we wish to engage with the smallest possible entity (no one should be left out).
- Promote sustainability assessment as a necessity rather than a luxury.
How does céleste sustainability assessment help United Nations International Labour Organisation’s social expectations?
- Having a paid job was not a guarantee of decent working conditions or of an adequate income for many of the 3.3 billion employed worldwide in 2019.
- Around 2 billion workers worldwide are informally employed, accounting for 61 per cent of the global workforce.
- In 2019, more than 630 million workers worldwide – that is, almost one in five, or 19 percent, of all those employed – did not earn enough to lift themselves and their families out of extreme or moderate poverty
How can céleste sustainability assessment drive sustainability improvement?
All sustainability standards, audits, frameworks, methodologies, guidance, assessments, laws, conventions, ratings, etc are unique in some respect. They have their own greatness and strengths. We respect them for initiating and driving sustainability movement.
There are primarily two ways to evaluate and bring change:
For an overall result, you either pass or fail. So either you are certified or not certified. In this case, the failed entity will either lose hope or will try harder.
You pass in 2 out of 10 criteria. So you feel that you have achieved something. With proper motivation, you try to improve. So your next assessment result could be 4 out of 10. céleste sustainability assessment wish to follow this methodology to engage with customers and drive sustainability improvement. For us, sustainability is a journey, and we wish to engage and integrate everyone in this journey.
Can any sustainability assessment potentially drive business growth of a micro/small/medium size company?
Following points may address this question:
- Most governments take sustainability criteria into account while making purchasing decisions.
- 97% of the procurement organizations surveyed consider sustainability/CSR important for procurement decision. https://www.hec.edu/en/news-room/state-sustainable-procurement-latest-ecovadis/hec-paris-barometer-released
- US Dodd-Frank Act, UK Modern Slavery Act and EU Conflict Mineral Regulation is driving companies to assess their suppliers sustainability credentials.
- Forbes – 88% of the consumers want companies to help them make a difference.
- BBC – COVID-19 and sustainability – https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55630144
What are different level of céleste sustainability assessment & certification?
We have defined five levels of assessment based on the level of assessment. This is to meet organizational needs.
- Bronze – Desktop Verification
- Silver – Desktop + Virtual Verification
- Gold – Extended Desktop + Extended Virtual Verification
- Platinum – Extended Desktop + Extended Virtual + Physical Verification
- Diamond – Extended Desktop + Extended Virtual + Physical + Surprise Virtual Verification + Surprise Physical Verification
Secondly, for Silver, we follow at least 2 data check point methodology. For Gold, Platinum & Diamond levels, we follow 3 data check point methodology, which may go up to 5 data check point methodology. This demonstrates the depth of the process.
Thirdly, for silver, we follow at least 2 criteria from policy, process and performance. For Gold, Platinum & Diamond levels, we check on all three criteria of policy, process and performance, which demonstrate the breadth of the process.
What are different aspects of céleste sustainability assessment & certification?
- Health & Safety
- Culture, Heritage & Values
- Economic& Quality
- Supply Chain
- Conflict Minerals
- Modern Slavery
Does céleste sustainability assessment compare any two companies based on industry, size, country, etc?
No, we do not prefer to compare any organisation’s sustainability achievement with any other organisation’s sustainability performance. Below story may provide some insight.
Emma covered a distance of 10 km in one hour. John covered the same distance in one and a half hours.
Which of the two is more sustainable (or resilient – healthier – stronger)?
Of course, our answer will be Emma.
What if we say that Emma covered this distance on a prepared track while John did it by walking on a sandy path??
Then our answer may be John.
But when we come to know that Emma is 60 years old while John is 30 years old???
Then our answer may be Emma again.
But we also come to know that John’s weight is 150 kg while Emma’s weight is 50 kg.
Again our answer may be John.
As we learn more about John and Emma, our opinions and judgments about who is better may change. As we grow, our knowledge and perception changes about almost everything.
Comparing someone’s (individual or organization) performance, achievement or views based on personal/professional sustainability knowledge, perception, capability, assessment and certification may ruin someone’s motivation to be more sustainable and, more importantly, can cost us losing one potential member who wishes to be sustainable.
What makes céleste assessment and certificate credible and/or authentic?
- This is a 3rd party certificate, so more credible than self-declaration.
- All certificates follow at least 4-eye approach, so minimum two person are involved in the assessment. One assessor and one quality controller.
- We follow United Nations sustainability principles for social and environmental assessments.
- céleste certificates are easily verifiable by anyone through a smart phone camera.
- céleste certificate is verifiable by anyone with QR code or certificate number without extra payment to us.
- We wish to provide an excellent customer experience, however not by issuing something fake. So we warn our customers that you will have to earn it, not buy it.
- For Silver, we follow at least 2 data check point methodology. For Gold, Platinum & Diamond levels, we follow 3 data check point methodology, which may go up to 5 data check point methodology. This demonstrates depth of the process.
- For silver, we follow at least 2 criteria from policy, process and performance. For Gold, Platinum & Diamond levels, we check on all three criteria of policy, process and performance, which demonstrate breadth of the process.
- We are registered in the UK, which has some of the strictest laws like:
- Modern Slavery Act 2015, which is global in nature
- Bribery Act 2010, which is again global in nature
- Sanctions & Anti-Money Laundering Act 2018
- Data Protection Act 2018
- We also try to train at least one person during your assessment, so that person can act as an assessment process reviewer. 5% of your payment goes to training of these personnel, so you are directly supporting our social responsibility objective.
Is céleste assessment and certification 100% reliable?
Every sustainability assurance companies try their best to arrive at a reliable conclusion (rating, score or certificate). However, there may be potential flaws like:
- Data collection
- Data interpretation
- Data analysis
- Data manipulation
- Data presentation
- Data governance
- Data management process
- Human Errors
We wish to be wrong; however we think that there are no 100% reliable standards, audits, frameworks, methodologies, guidance, assessments, etc. (including céleste) in the world that exists to perfectly “score”, “rate” or “certify” sustainable companies, processes and products. Sorry, we are not perfect. However, we aim to be the best with immense respect to the amount of money you are investing.
What are the differences between “Assessment Only” versus “Assessment & Certification”?
Assessment results are kept confidential between us. Certificates are in public domain, so it can be shared with others.
Assessments are for internal improvements, whereas Certificates should improve your company credibility and brand value.